lunes, 20 de noviembre de 2017

Trapped in the Dark by Guillermo Altieri

TRAPPED IN THE DARK

The milk was almost to spill. I have always found curious how particle's faster collision due to the heat turns everything into a permanent state of entropy. Just like if you put an amount of living beings into a confined hot space, I usually imagine a furnace. The question is when you directly put these subjects in they will jump out immediately whilst warming it up very slowly they will roast like the frigid body of an unheaded chicken in a roaster, like an inferno.

After I had drunk my yummy glass of milk with sugar, which I always have before going bed, I went to say good night to mum. “You still have a milk mustache Mattie” she said laughing, and I laughed too before cleaning it up. “Good nights mum” I said, “Oh sweetheart good night to you too” she answered. She is the only one who calls me “Mattie” and I frankly prefer it than Matthew.

Once my little “ritual” was completed and I went upstairs I reached my bed, my red-blood lovely bed. I was ready to sleep and once got the disconnection I would be able to explore unconsciously every nook of my deepest thoughts. Meanwhile my brain would take the reins and my mind would rest innocently.

Those were my last memories from that night, nothing special, and nothing unusual, nothing remarkable that would shed some light to the next day’s events.

I sweetly woke up while at the same time I slowly started to recover consciousness of myself. I perceived I had rested properly because I did not feel any exhaustion. You probably know what I mean, this situation when you think you just have not recharged any energy rather than lost any kind you had. This happens when you break a “sleep cycle” and is the same reason why whenever you take a nap it should not last any longer than twenty-four minutes or your organism will surely feel tired respecting mental activities for a short time.

Well mine seemed to have been perfect because I could just think about the warm comfort that I felt between my smooth sheets and my covering eiderdown.

Unfortunately, everything has an end and this time it had to be close taking into account that I had met for hiking with John and Carl soon in the morning. Time for me to get up.

Then… then I realized, I simply could not. I could not open my eyes, they were like sewn but it did not hurt, I wish they had been sewn, at least I would have known the reason of my impotence.

I could not move my body. It was like a stone, petrified in my own bed, immobile. I felt an anxiety I had never felt before, I wanted to shout “Mum, help!” as loud as I could, and of course my mouth did not move.

There were just two things left to do: breathe and think. Think as fast as I had never done, my mind was a chaos, my breathing had never been louder and yet none listened to me. My own existence was beyond my control in a mere blinking. 

All of a sudden, I heard them. Footsteps coming upstairs, but bad news for me… That was not mum. I knew it was not her because of the weight of the body, I knew it was not her because of the roughness of the intruder, I knew it was not her because deep inside my chaotic mind, I felt even worse.

I heard him, yes, him, inside my room. After a while listening with my heart beating faster than it had never had I could tell more specifically, a burglar.

I knew he was examining around, but in the distance, looking for precious objects. I imagined he was a scavenger who circled my room looking for something worth it, and if he did not find it, he would suppose I was dead and took my guts out painting my bed even redder than it was. Devouring my organs and making two sweets out of my blue dead eyes. Enjoying the banquet.

He approached to look under my bed and took all stuff out of my bed-drawers noisily increasing my general discomfort to another level that again, I had never known. 

Then… the vulture started to come gently closer to my face, closer… and closer… and closer. Until I finally felt his disgusting breathing on my cheeks.

That is when I woke u p and  that is  the story of how I first and last experienced “the false awakening”.

Guillermo Altieri.

(Winner of the contest).